These are just a few of my favorite resources that are or have been meaningful to me. I also include additional Relevant Resources at the bottom of each post. I will keep adding to this page over time.
Education & Critical Pedagogy
- Teaching to Transgress by bell hooks
- The Question of Access: Disability, Space, Meaning by Tanya Titchkosky
- Undoing the Silence: Six Tools for Social Change Writing by Louise Dunlap
- American Indians in Children’s Literature – blog by Dr. Debbie Reese (Nambé Pueblo)
Somatics, Embodiment & Trauma Healing
- Generative Somatics
- Strozzi Institute
- The Body Keeps The Score by Bessel Van Der Kolk
- My Grandmother’s Hands by Resmaa Menakem
- Tada Hozumi and Cultural Somatics
- How Childhood Trauma Effects Health Across A Lifetime – TEDMed by Nadine Burke Harris
- Patty Townsend’s Embodyoga website, workshops and YouTube channel – If yoga is not your thing, check this out for the content around getting to know your tissues, organs, bones, and cells.
- Bonnie Bainbridge-Cohen’s books, workshops and YouTube channel– She is Patty’s teacher.
- Shadow Work – A form of non-clinical therapeutic practice based in Jungian psychology that allows the client to externalize “parts” of their psyche and somatically and psychologically transform one’s relationship to these parts. See https://shadowwork.com.
Settler Colonialism & Indigenous Solidarity
- Queer Indigenous Studies: Critical Interventions in Theory, Politics & Literature edited by Qwo-Li Driskill, Chris Finley, Brian Joseph Gilley, and Scott Lauria Morgensen
- Cultural Survival (organization and quarterly publication)
- An Indigenous Peoples’ History of the United States by Roxanne Dunbar Ortiz and An Indigenous Peoples’ History of the United States for Young People adapted by Jean Mendoza and Debbie Reese
- Our Beloved Kin by Lisa Brooks (particularly for those who live in the northeast United States)
- Sogorea Te’ Land Trust and the Shuumi Land Tax
Ecopsychology, Initiation & Transformation
- Nature and the Human Soul by Bill Plotkin
- The Toe Bone and The Tooth by Martin Prechtel
- Women Who Run With Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estes, PhD